Sunday 19 May 2013

Sunday Snapshot #2: Pizza Buns


            A co-worker of mine said it best: he said that something magical happens when you bake. You begin with a bowl of basic ingredients that often do not taste good individually. Mix them up, put them in the oven, and suddenly you have a delicious treat. Now, you may say that's chemistry, not magic, but I say it's both.
            I've really come to love cooking and baking. I search out new recipes to try and think of things I've never made that I'd really love to try. There has been a lot of time for that in the past six months as I search for a new career and it's been great to have my mom as a guinea pig (though she's a little less adventurous when it comes to food, she's always supportive and willing to try a bite!). I found out I love lentils. I've made a delicious dish with broccoli rabe and polenta. And last night I made pizza buns.
 
Baking Magic
 
            Oh boy.
            I've been a huge fan of pizza buns since I worked at a supermarket bakery when I was in high school. Pizza buns were always one of the first items to sell out- and often, they were bought up by the stock boys and other store staff while they were still warm. They are a bit expensive when you think about it- we're talking about $1.75 per bun. And it is just a bun with a little sauce and cheese. But it's a magical bun with a little sauce and cheese.            
            I found an amazing recipe on the amazing Seasons & Suppers blog and they turned out perfect. I mean these were bang on. I made eight and they were gone. Sure, it takes a bit of time to make the dough, let it proof, and bake them but it's worth every second. Look at these- look at them! Try them. Use homemade sauce (lower in sugar) and low-fat cheese if you must. I'll definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment