Sunday 5 May 2013

Sunday Snapshot #1


            I'm a bit of a strange bird. I'm silly and playful. I own a Wii and play "Just Dance" for fun by myself (well, for fun and exercise- the sweat challenges on those games are fantastic!). I still dress up for Halloween. I wear pajamas when I'm at home. I've never liked coffee. One time I was at a friend's house and her six-year-old son was showing me a game on the computer. He wanted to show me a YouTube video, but told me he had to get an adult to use YouTube. It didn't even occur to him that I am an adult.
            Sometimes I don't feel like much of an adult. I mean, I pay my own bills, I've lived on my own, and I finished school. I owe a big 'ole student loan. I turned 30 yesterday. I am an adult, but like that cliché, sometimes I feel like I'm just impersonating an adult and barely getting away with it.
            Yesterday, I felt like an adult. Not because I turned 30 (well, partially that, I suppose). Not because I didn't spend the night drinking with friends and hitting a club (I would have loved to do that too!). Not because I went to a specialty cheese shop and bought a sun-dried tomato and garlic sheep's milk cheddar and some smoked salmon (but I did, and I can't wait to have that for lunch today!). I felt like an adult yesterday because I went to the afternoon tea at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Afternoon tea- for mature ladies only!
 
            It was beautiful! Antique furniture, clotted cream, matching china- just amazing! Ladies sitting around, chatting politely, and I didn't curse or use toilet language even once! We drank tea, ate tiny sandwiches, cooed over cute little desserts, and I felt like an adult. AND I ENJOYED IT! That is pretty impressive! It usually takes income tax season to make me feel like an adult and certainly not in any enjoyable manner. It was a wonderful afternoon and a fantastic birthday surprise.
            What makes you feel like an adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment